Sunday, November 15, 2015

Awesome, Bacon Dressing Recipe

Welcome to The Cherry On Top.

I'm finally getting around to that bacon dressing recipe.  I know...I know...

Traditionally, it's served with potatoes and lettuce.  Recently, I had a large supply of fresh Brussels Sprouts given to me and was fairly certain they were going to be tough to get rid of.  Then I thought, "What can I do to get the boys to eat Brussels Sprouts?"  And like a bat over the head, "BACON!"

Spekske saus is very simple and amazingly delicious.  If it weren't for the bacon, it'd be incredibly healthy, too.  It really doesn't sound like much and when you read through the ingredients, it still doesn't sound all that great either, but I will WARN you.  This stuff is addictive.  Make a huge batch because folks cannot stop eating it.  I'm totally serious.  I eat at least three servings when I make this and there are never left overs.  We may even argue about who gets the last of it.

Ingredients:

water
potatoes
Brussel Sprouts or lettuce
bacon
butter
apple cider vinegar
boullion (optional)
black pepper
thickener like potato starch (optional)


Pardon my lame photos.  I nearly forgot to take a picture of the finished result because I just couldn't wait to sink my teeth into dinner.  Hehehe....



This recipe is ready, really fast and there are not a lot of ingredients.  Yay!  That's my favourite kind of cooking.  So many recipes for this has sugar in it.  Hello!  It's not dessert and if you use the apple cider vinegar it will be sweet.

Start boiling your water for the potatoes and make sure you add more than enough water so you can use it in the sauce.  I wash the potatoes thoroughly, peel off yucky spots and dice them up.  Leave the skin any time you can.  It saves so much time and it's nutritious  In Belgium there are so many different kinds of potatoes.  I can never remember which ones gets cooked in which ways and for what meal.  If you want them to cook fast, choose a fast cooking potato or cut the chunks smaller, but not too small.  


The sauce is ready in minutes so don't get started until your potatoes are nearly finished unless you are making the sprouts with it. You could turn off your potatoes and cover them to keep them warm.  You may want to have your potatoes more firm.  However, you could also mash your potatoes.  Especially, if the kids prefer them that way. It's equally as delicious.


Let's get started on that awesome sauce.  My recipe is a bit of a flavour bomb.

Start off with 2 tablespoons of butter.  You may want to go unsalted because of the bacon.  Add the chopped bacon (don't be stingy) and quartered Brussel Sprouts if you are putting them in the sauce.  Sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until your sprouts are nearly done to your liking.  Then add apple cider vinegar.  This is a bit of a tricky part.  How much you add depends on how sour you want it.  I'd start off with 3 tablespoons and add more to get your desired taste.  Check out the above photo.  I add a ladle of my potato water to my sauce until I get the amount of sauce I want.  Add a teaspoon of vegetable bullion if you like.  I thicken my sauce just a bit and load it with black pepper.   (1 teaspoon of potato starch to 2 teaspoons water, shaken)

Serve your bacon dressing with lettuce or with the Brussel Sprouts.


Smakelijk!


No comments:

Post a Comment